Media consumption is at a saturation point. After rising for much of the last decade, total digital time spent has been nearly static since the start of 2015. As a result, it’s increasingly difficult for content producers to win over minutes of consumers’ time.
One platform, though, is poised to move the needle and provide a new avenue to boost digital time spent: the connected car. Consumers will spend more time in cars that offer a range of connectivity options, giving them the chance to use the services they know and love in the car.
The key question for service providers is how to take advantage of the connected car by integrating their services into this growing platform.
In a new report from BI Intelligence, we provide a roadmap for service providers looking to offer their services in the car. We analyze media consumption and overall digital time spent trends, and then forecast the growth of the connected car market in relation to the digital time opportunity. Finally, we propose potential routes that service providers can take to get into connected cars and ride-hailing vehicles.
Here are some of the key takeaways:
- Digital time spent has become nearly static; however, people are spending more time in cars every year, and the growth of connected cars will likely turn these extra minutes into digital time.
- Getting services into the car is more complicated than ever before, and will require service providers to take different approaches to integration.
- The introduction of autonomous vehicles and the growth of ride-hailing services in the coming years will completely change what people can do in cars, which will alter the requirements for digital services in these developing platforms.
In full, the report:
- Analyzes trends in digital time spent and the growth of connected cars.
- Explains the connected-car ecosystem, where service providers fit in, and what relationships they need to succeed in the space.
- Provides a detailed explanation of the future of connected cars, which will expand media consumption and offer new e-commerce and payments opportunities.